Unforseen Side Effects of an Expensive Education

Once upon a time, not so very long ago, I had the opportunity to spend 6 years of my life pursuing advanced degrees in English. This is an opportunity for which I am grateful--and for which I am still making monthly payments. Upon the completion of said degrees, I chose to make a career shift. Now I stay home with my children. Despite the inherent challenges, I love it. However, early on I encountered an unexpected problem: while reading books to my young daughter I had to repeatedly suppress the urge to make edits to the texts with a Sharpie. I am grateful for my daughter's love of books, but after being nearly driven to distraction several times by the repeated reading of books I couldn't stand, I started making lists. I noted various authors and titles that I could read over and over without being overcome with the urge to poke out my eyes. Now, with this blog, I endeavor to share these eye-poke-less (in my opinion) books with my other Mom and Dad friends. Hopefully this will help to make story time more enjoyable for everyone. Perhaps it will even save you from finding yourself spinning a web of white lies in order to cover up the fact that you hid that one book you couldn't stand to read even one more time under the couch...

Friday, February 25, 2011

Bear's First Christmas

By Robert Kinerk and Jim LaMarche

We have another Christmas tradition at our house (I started this after hearing a story on NPR about a family who did something similar)--We have a box of Christmas books that we get out every year just after Thanksgiving. All other times of year, these books are packed away in order to keep them special and fresh. I try to add a few new ones each year (usually during post-Christmas sales at bookstores...). We read a few (or a lot) of these books each day between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. It is a calm and cozy way to enjoy the season, and a great way to help kids form positive associations with reading.
I borrowed this book from the library last year and liked it so much we borrowed it again this year. (Hurray for libraries, by the way!) I love the illustrations--well, most of them. One of my two gripes with the book is that I think LaMarche goes to too much trouble in a few instances to make it look like the bear is smiling. What I like best about the other illustrations in the book is that the animals actually look like animals (aside from the bear's silly smile), and yet somehow still convey feeling. I also really like the font--I don't know if the artist had any influence there, but it goes nicely with the illustrations. My other annoyance with the story is that one of the characters--a small tree--is used rather heavy-handedly in a metaphor that strikes me as a bit trite...but I forgive this (and the bear's smiles) in light of the books many other strengths.
The story teaches the crux of Christ's teachings--"love one another." A bear is awoken from hibernation in mid-winter by a sound. He goes of in search of its source and is able to render many acts of service for his fellow creatures along the way. The animals then continue together until they discover a warm, lighted house wherein a family is singing around a Christmas tree. In an interesting nod to reality, the animals do not exactly understand what they are seeing. The house is described as "A lair or a burrow all lit by a glow." But, while the beasts do not comprehend all they observe, they do perceive its import--perhaps an excellent metaphor for our own experience in this life and in our search for meaning and truth?
All together, this is a charming book--very inviting illustrations, a somewhat fresh take on Christmas, and a very well-wrought rhyme and meter which flows very nicely and sets a fine tone for the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment